Volunteer Information -
linux.conf.au is a grass-roots, community-driven event. It needs bright, enthusiastic people to make it a success!
Volunteering at linux.conf.au 2014 is a great opportunity, and can be deeply rewarding. On a more practical note, volunteering at linux.conf.au can add to your professional portfolio in many ways - making this an ideal opportunity for students or recent graduates.
- Meeting exceptional people - many of whom are recognised experts in their field and industry luminaries
- Great networking opportunities with people working in the free and open source community
- Gaining practical, hands-on experience and skills in event management, customer liaison, public relations and operation of audio visual equipment - which are invaluable to future employers
What's required of me?
To be eligible for Volunteer Registration at linux.conf.au, you will need to be able to commit to at least four (4) full days of volunteering throughout the conference.
We'd also like you to have:
- the ability to meet and greet people and provide basic face to face assistance with a friendly, cheerful disposition
- some familiarity with audio visual equipment
- confidence addressing an audience, such as introducing a speaker
- some familiarity with technology such as IRC, social media, text editors etc
- physical fitness for some manual activities (the most you would have to do would be to lift some heavy boxes, or participate in an eating competition)
You won't necessarily need to be able to do all of the things in this list, but if you can do one or more of them, that'd be grand.
The types of tasks you can be expected to be assigned to include:
- conference set up including moving and setting up equipment such as audiovisual and networking gear
- operating audiovisual equipment such as cameras in the conference venues
- registering delegates and answering questions about accommodation and getting around the conference venue
- room monitoring activities like introducing speakers and ensuring they run to time, and co-ordinating with the AV team and monitors in other rooms
- transporting delegates to or from the airport, or around the conference venue
- general event administration tasks
What's in it for me?
Tempted, but want to know more about what you get for volunteering your time? This is what we're offering:
- free conference registration
- meals provided every day while you're volunteering
- volunteer t-shirt
- written reference covering your experience and duties provided after the conference
We don't include the following:
- travel to and from the conference venue
Sign me up as a Volunteer!
Great! Here's what you have to do:
- Register or sign in to this site
- Register as a volunteer at http://lca2014.linux.org.au/volunteer/new
- If you meet eligibility criteria and are chosen as a volunteer, you will be able to choose the volunteer ticket when you register for the conference
- Join us in Perth WA for the conference
Any questions? Email us at email@example.com